My inch side of Olfa might have passed away this week. Just when I was actually enjoying all the inch stuff. So, back to cm.
I think this might be my first striped piecing. And I love it!
I cut 5cm strips from my newly arrived white Kona. Man, I how I waited for it :) So, I cut these strips from Kona and also from some prints I looove. The prints I love have all different dimensions, so I had stips as big as 44", but also FQ strips and other tiny strips. I ended up with different leght strips, and I cut them all 5 cm multiple.
Ironed eveything very very well. Steamed too. I don't have a 1/4" foot, so I really needed the steam. Not badly, I just wanted to be sure everything is ok in the end.
Having different lenght strips gave me inequal no of the same type of strip. And this made me very happy :D. I wanted the squares to be as random as possible, and the fact that there wasn't the same number of blues, reds, purples... helped a lot.
I than made random blocks. 4 rows, 5 rows,10 rows.
At some point I realised that although I wasn't looking for a big quilt, I still didn't have enough squares. The good thing about those random blocks was that I could now mix them better. Not have half a quilt more bluish than the other.
And I mixed. And than I stared at the window for half an hour:D
Basting went fast, one pin at every 10 squares, adjusting as I quilted were necessary.
The flannel back looks great with the squares, although it is a strange optical illusion because of the circles and many lines seem to be bended.
The binding made with Rita's tutorial but no pins went smooth too, I just hand sewn the corners before machine stiching the whole thing.
Thee you have it! 1 3/8 " 480 squares. I love each one of them and all together :D