Thursday, September 15, 2011

How to find the dimensions of the perfect pouch

Thanks to Sonia, I realised my tutorial was missing the scale. So, if you want to make your box pouch, here are some thoughts about the dimensions.


[click the pic to see it larger]

If you know what size you want your box to be, L[length], W[width], H[heigth], use the formulas below to find the size of your pieces and corners.


If you're making a small box, or you're a quilter, you can use 1/4" sewing allowance. If you're using a fabric that frays a lot or you want a bigger or stronger box, you might want a 1/2" sewing allowance. I am used to work with cm and only use 1/4" when quilting, so I usually have 1 cm sewing allawance :) It's not that important, as long as you keep it constant. For garments, however, 1/4" is usually a little to little :) 


If  you have 1/4" sewing allowance and 1/2" where you attach the zipper.
a = L + H +1/2"
b = H + W + 3/4"
c = H * 0.7 [I have no ideea how one can choose to work in base 8 :) and I barely remember how to multiply in base 8, if so ]

If you're using 1/2" allowance and 1" for the zipper, you'll have:

a = L + H +1"
b = H + W + 1 1/2"
c = H * 0.7


And, of course, if you're lucky like me and live life in metric ...

a = L + H + 2 cm
b = H + W + 3cm
c = H * 0.7



Please let me know if you have any questions. And enjoy your pretty pouches :) Oh, and if you have no ideea what I'm talking about, you might want to have a look at the tutorial here.

8 comments:

  1. Math!!! :) I love math. I haven't gotten a chance to work through all this yet - and have to dash to work; know that you made my day though since this is the very question that I was hoping to figure out! Saves me from using my seam ripper so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart! I was going trial and error, which is the worst choice to make. I would end up doing dozens of pouches looking for the perfect fit! You have saved me of time and effort. Thanks a lot! The pouch is perfect indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this once again with perfect results! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this - it's so nice to have someone else do the math so I can just be lazy and sew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have saved me so much time and guessing, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what does the c=h *0.7 mean
    I want to make a boxed pouch 24x 20x4
    A=29
    b=25.5
    is that correct

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Diana:

    Today I found your tutorial on how to measure any size boxed pouch. I’m trying to do a pouch around a travel baby wipes package. My intention is to use one piece of fabric for the main fabric and one for the lining. Both pieces of fabric will have an opening for the wipes lid to go through. That’s the reason for not using two pieces of fabric each for the main fabric and the lining. I understand that if I use only one piece of fabric then I should cut it the length of the zipper by 2 times the width measurement that I got through your formula. To make it clear for you, the package measures 7 inches long by 4 inches wide and 3 inches high. For this product I should come to the following measurements:

    L= L + H = 1= 7 = 3 = 1 = 11
    W = H = W + 1 ½ = 3 + 4 + 1 ½ = 8 ½

    I understand that I should cut my fabric 11 inches by 8 ½ inches (2) = 11 x 17 inches since there is no seam between the two pieces of main or lining fabric. Do you think that I should add any extra inches for seam allowances or not? I appreciate your input. Thanks


    ReplyDelete
  8. I always do box corners by drawing a line perpendicular to the bottom seam, for example 1 1/2 inches from the corner straight across gets a seam. Would the 1 1/2 inch be my "c" measurement or is the "c" measurement the length of the fabric side? I'm sorry this doesn't make too much sense. Really, my question is where to measure the "c" measurement. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a comment? Ok, maybe it's not that much fun when you have hundreds of comments at every post and you wanna answer, but you know what? I don't :)). So I have a lot of time to answer :))) Bring'em on