Thursday, September 15, 2011

How to find the dimensions of the perfect pouch

Thanks to Sonia, I realised my tutorial was missing the scale. So, if you want to make your box pouch, here are some thoughts about the dimensions.


[click the pic to see it larger]

If you know what size you want your box to be, L[length], W[width], H[heigth], use the formulas below to find the size of your pieces and corners.


If you're making a small box, or you're a quilter, you can use 1/4" sewing allowance. If you're using a fabric that frays a lot or you want a bigger or stronger box, you might want a 1/2" sewing allowance. I am used to work with cm and only use 1/4" when quilting, so I usually have 1 cm sewing allawance :) It's not that important, as long as you keep it constant. For garments, however, 1/4" is usually a little to little :) 


If  you have 1/4" sewing allowance and 1/2" where you attach the zipper.
a = L + H +1/2"
b = H + W + 3/4"
c = H * 0.7 [I have no ideea how one can choose to work in base 8 :) and I barely remember how to multiply in base 8, if so ]

If you're using 1/2" allowance and 1" for the zipper, you'll have:

a = L + H +1"
b = H + W + 1 1/2"
c = H * 0.7


And, of course, if you're lucky like me and live life in metric ...

a = L + H + 2 cm
b = H + W + 3cm
c = H * 0.7



Please let me know if you have any questions. And enjoy your pretty pouches :) Oh, and if you have no ideea what I'm talking about, you might want to have a look at the tutorial here.

6 comments:

  1. Math!!! :) I love math. I haven't gotten a chance to work through all this yet - and have to dash to work; know that you made my day though since this is the very question that I was hoping to figure out! Saves me from using my seam ripper so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart! I was going trial and error, which is the worst choice to make. I would end up doing dozens of pouches looking for the perfect fit! You have saved me of time and effort. Thanks a lot! The pouch is perfect indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this once again with perfect results! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this - it's so nice to have someone else do the math so I can just be lazy and sew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have saved me so much time and guessing, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what does the c=h *0.7 mean
    I want to make a boxed pouch 24x 20x4
    A=29
    b=25.5
    is that correct

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a comment? Ok, maybe it's not that much fun when you have hundreds of comments at every post and you wanna answer, but you know what? I don't :)). So I have a lot of time to answer :))) Bring'em on